Wednesday 8 March 2023

The Peacock 811

 It was a light lunch.  A cheese and tomato sandwich with a glass of milk and a chocolate brownie for dessert.  We ate together.  I assumed that there were servants or hired help in the house as the food had already been prepared and was waiting on the table for us.  Or perhaps the old couple had done it.  I was afraid to ask because, simply, I just didn't want to know.  There was also music coming from somewhere.  It sounded like a lute interpretation of some renaissance compositions.  It was lilting and beautiful.  Again, I simply had not the presence of mind to ask.  I was about to gather up our dirty plates and carry them to the kitchen, if I could find it, but he forbade me with his hand, and assured me that it would be already taken care of.  He rose up from his chair.  Without saying where we were going and I simply was not able to ask, he led me out of the house, onto a broad sheltered terrace, then down the steps....

No comments:

Post a Comment