Friday 10 March 2023

The Peacock 813

 Flanking the wall were several stone benches.  He led me to one where we sat down side by side.  "Here, I will be bringing you every day of your stay with us. This is the garden of the healing of memories."  Then he went silent, and we sat, while I inhaled the fragrances mingled of lavender, thyme, basil, comfrey, wormwood, fennel, and many other mingled fragrances of every fragrant herb imaginable and inimaginable.  I heard the shrill whistling of two eagles soaring in circles overhead, and then the call of a raven.  From the nearby forest, and the gardens sang a whole variety of birds.  There was no other sound, but for the distant crashing of waves on the rocks down below.  Until then, I had never had the ability to sit still in silence for longer than a few seconds.  Now, I seemed to be absorbing it like a thirsty camel drinking water after a trek across the Sahara.  I couldn't have enough of this blessed and beautiful silence and stillness.  But I didn't fall asleep either.  I don't know how long we sat there, but by the time he signaled that it was time to leave, the shadows were already much longer.  We returned to the house for dinner...

No comments:

Post a Comment