Thursday 7 December 2023

The Peacock 1081

 "Christopher...Do you remember me?"

I cannot move, I am motionless, stupid and stunned.  Yes, there is no mistaking.  The same force of presence, and I am paralyzed.  Stronger than before.  There has been a change. And not just because he is older.  I force a weak smile, "hi Chuck.  How are you", and my response falls flat and insincere, like the politely minced words of an Anglican old crone politely greeting the rector at the annual parish garden party.

"How've you been!" he effuses, then Carl takes his cue and comes to my rescue.

"I'm Carl", and they shake hands.  "And you would be..."

"Chuck.  Grayston.  I work for interchurch ministries here in the DTES", and he gives me his card.

"I think we have a lot of catching up to do", say I.  "how long has it been, almost twenty-five years?"

"You are looking wondrously young, Christopher", he says.

"Thanks."

"Well, I have to be off, back to the office and then I will be running the needle exchange for a couple of hours."

"You have to tell us more of what you are doing", says Carl.

"Yes, please get in touch.  Christopher, it is so great to see you, and nice to meet you, Carl", he effuses some more before walking off towards Chinatown...


No comments:

Post a Comment