Saturday 23 December 2023

The Peacock 1097

"Any word from your bosses", says  Carl.

"I've been laid off"

"Since when?"

"since yesterday."

"And you haven't told us."

"I'm telling you now."

"So, thanks for telling already."

"Sorry.  I think I was needing time to digest the news before I could tell you guys."

"I understand", says Francois, and yes, he does understand, unlike Carl who must have every single detail clear and transparent as  virgin mountain spring water.

"What happened?" says Carl.

"I got an email from my supervisor, Laura, yesterday in the van while we were driving out to New West.  She explained that the pandemic has made operating the hospice unsafe, and they would be closed for at least a year if not longer."

"So, now what are you going to do?"

"Cerb benefits last until October, then I should still be good for employment insurance benefits.  Or I could sell the condo and pull in a few hundred grand of equity."

"And", says Carl, "You might also sell the house for a few extra million and we can all live in New West together..."

No comments:

Post a Comment