Thursday 14 December 2023

The Peacock 1088

 "Well, Bernice was sort of a personal friend of my dad's, or let's say she took rather a maternal interest in his life for a while. As well as being a Pentecostal minister and missionary, she had been elected to Vancouver City Council, which she used as a platform for her group of righteous fundamentalists, called Citizens For Integrity.  I only met her a few times when I was a kid, since she was trying to be particularly supportive just after my mother's death, but she was nice and warm and and funny, almost like a great aunt, if not a grandmother.  And quite a voice.  She sounded like a veteran trucker but without the cuss words.  I really wonder now if she might have been a potential transman.  Or at least a diesel dike wearing a dress, since Bernice, as a good Christian  woman of her era, eschewed pants or trousers,. So, anyway, Bernice did not want the wild naked party bunnies of Wreck beach to corrupt the morals of the young innocent university students.  I guess she didn't know or guess just how well they could do that kind of job with each other.  Anyway, dad only mentioned it to me once, I was thirteen so he must have thought I was old enough for the facts of life.  I still have the newspaper clippings stored in his office somewhere if you guys want to have a look..."

"How did you react when he told you?" says Carl.

"What else could I do!  I laughed."

No comments:

Post a Comment