Wednesday 6 December 2023

The Peacock 1080

 There are three homeless men and one woman crowded together on the sidewalk, seated just next to the entrance to a McDonald's.  One of the men, who appears to be the youngest, is swaying back and forth while seated, his eyes tightly shut, and I can scarcely imagine what drugs he is on.  Carl wanders off ahead as I stop to observe, not knowing what to do, but somehow knowing that I have to see this.  Then, a man, possibly in his fifties or early sixties, comes out of the Mcdonalds, carrying a large paper bag.  He gives it to the woman and I hear him say something, "Here is all the food you ordered.  I hope it's enough"  and I recognize the voice and the Australian accent as Chuck wanders off in the opposite direction.  He appears well, dressed in beige slacks and green T shirt.  I stand paralyzed, wishing I could call out to him and knowing I cannot.  But he appears to have noted my presence, and as I sense Carl returning to check in on me, Chuck rapidly approaches us, a wide smile illuminating his aging face...

No comments:

Post a Comment