Friday 29 December 2023

The Peacock 1103

 I do prefer talking to Erik in the privacy of my father's bedroom.  I still don't feel the need to close the door, but I want some sense of apartness right now.  Erik occupies a part of my life and my past that I am not quite ready to share, perhaps never will share, but here he is looking at me through the screen, appearing pale and tired, and certainly less than delighted.  

"Greta and Swen both wanted to drive me to the airport.  I didn't want them to, so I went by Uber instead."

"What did they say?"

"Nothing.  But that is also what I told them.  Nothing."

"You left them hanging?"

"I suppose that could be said."

"Have they tried to contact you?"

"You must be joking.  They would never follow up with me.  Instead, they are going to plot something."

"Plot something?"

"That's the way those two operate.  They are not going to that willingly let me escape from their control or influence.  They will think of something.  They always do."

"From what I've heard of Lindstrom he is both determined and resourceful."

"They both are.  But here, for a while, I have some breathing space.  And the quarantine might be just the blessing in disguise to really keep me away from them...

No comments:

Post a Comment