Monday 25 December 2023

1099

 "Like", says Francois,"The house was never there."

"Exactly", says Carl, his voice suddenly charged with emotion.

"There is something unreal about that place", say I.

"Yes", concurs Francois, "Like it's built of fairy dust.  And nothing else."

"Like it's an illusion."

"I only wish", says Carl.  " I don't know if my mother can really take charge of the place.  "And until or if she's recovered from covid, I think all bets are off."

"Why don't you put it up for sale", say I.

"Melissa would never stand for it."

"Have you asked her?" says Francois.

Carl puts down his fork, letting it nestle against his half-eaten Nanaimo bar.

"I could never ask her something like that."

"Why?" says Francois.

"I'm afraid to."  And now Carl does look truly terrified of something...


No comments:

Post a Comment