Friday 22 December 2023

The Peacock 1096

 "Why do they call them Nanaimo bars?" says Carl.

"They're made in Nanaimo?" I reply.

Francois pulls out his phone.  "Nanaimo bar.  Origin..  Listen:


It was first deemed the Nanaimo bar by Vancouver Sun columnist Edith Adams in 1953 when she wrote that the dessert came from Nanaimo. This is important to note, Newman says, because other places such as Mississauga and England have tried to claim it as their own.


"It stands to reason", says Carl.  "England already has the queen, and Mississauga has Pearson International, the airport closest to experiencing hell without having to die first."

"I used to enjoy Nanaimo bars", say I, but I went off them for a while."

"Too sweet?" says Francois.

"No, because the beer was cheaper in Parksville."

"Parksville?" 

"A town just a few miles north of Nanaimo."

"Oh, yes, I get it now", says Francois, not quite smiling.  "Nanaimo BARS."

At least Carl is laughing...



No comments:

Post a Comment